Monday, June 6, 2011

Amazing Women Unite With Gratitude

My husband came home for lunch today and, we watched a re-run of an interview between Oprah and Ali Macgraw. It left me aspiring to have the same depth of insight about myself that Ms. Macgraw had of herself. I told my husband, “I want to be an amazing woman like her”. He looked at me and asked, “Don’t you think you are an amazing woman?” What a great question!!! It was when I tried to answer his question that I was briefly stuck for words. I had never thought of myself in that “amazing” realm.

Ironically, I had just come home from facilitating a makeup workshop at a local high school, and the students and I had had a similar conversation. I was telling the young women how beautiful they looked, and each one of them blushed and sheepishly hung their heads down. They each had a smile on their face, but were clearly uncomfortable receiving the compliment.

Isn’t it incredible how quickly we tell someone they are amazing, or beautiful, or smart, and yet, we squirm when someone offers the same gesture of kindness? There seems to be an underlying belief we are undeserving of the same praise that we give to our friends. We want those dear to us to feel loved and accepted, and yet we rob ourselves of the very same. We take time to get up every morning, shower, pick out an outfit, and put on a bit of makeup. We work hard at our jobs and take the time to be motivated and inspired. Clearly, we want to look and feel our best and live up to our full potential in all areas of our lives. We strive to be our best.

When someone gives you a compliment, whether it is directed toward your outer or inner beauty, your intelligence or wit, your talents or creativity, stand tall and accept their kind words with gratitude. Just as you take the time to make someone else feel good, allow them to take the time to reciprocate that wonderful feeling of giving the same in return.

So, when my husband asked me if I thought I was an amazing woman, I looked up at him (I did think for a moment) and then, quite clearly, answered, “Yes.” He stood up, kissed me on the forehead and went back to work.

2 comments:

  1. Nice story! I wonder if our reluctance to accept flattery has anything to do with the pattern of having had very little encouragement from a young age... it's just foreign, and awkward at this point in time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed!! The message we received that it was all about everyone else; that strength came from emotional deprivation. My message is that strength comes from being kind to yourself as well as others. xoxo

    ReplyDelete