Friday, June 24, 2011

Free Friday

Here I am, finally reaching Friday after a week of hard work and much busyness. After having a leisurely coffee with my good friend, Kate, and running a few errands, including groceries, I find myself having some lunch and looking forward to an hour or two in my garden. My brain is tired, and the sun is peeking through the clouds beckoning me to come out and play.


Whenever I end up in a place of “wishing it was Friday”, I know that I have overstepped my threshold of work. I wake up with my first thought wondering what day it is. Once my mind has woken up and I discover I am not close to the end of the work week, I find myself sighing with disappointment. After years of extreme over work, I made a personal vow years ago that I would not allow it to take over my life ever again. Promises, promises!!

Unfortunately, my personality is as driven as any mind could possibly be. I have a power in me that can supersede any physical ailment I may suffer. It ignores all pain and exhaustion, and simply powers on until I reach the point of no return. Because everyone has a breaking point, and yes, I am human, I need to be awake and aware of that point long before I reach it. Failing to do so brings me to the “getting through each day” rather than the “enjoying each day” state of mind. Drudgery and angst are what comes to mind, and these are not pleasant thoughts or how I want to live.

Tomorrow marks the debut of my column, “Talk of Life” in the Kingston Whig Standard. Nervous anticipation moves through me as I wait to see my first freelance job in print for all of my hometown to read. So much going on right now, and I am unsure of how I feel. I think I will relish the fact that it is Friday and then take the weekend to get back on the balanced track of life. That is where I am my true self. xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Take a deep breath girl - the article was great, and you're allowed to enjoy a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos Diana, wonderful job! I look so forward do reading along this summer...
    Txo

    ReplyDelete