Friday, August 26, 2011

"Jolene"

I tend to pick movies off t he shelf at Blockbuster that no one else has heard of. They are films that may not have made box office but, for some reason, really resonate with me. Sometimes, I am intrigued by the stars on the cover, but often it is the movie cover or the story line on the back that draws me in.

Tonight it was the cover; the image of a young girl walking down a highway with a suitcase; on a journey with no sure destination, but the need for inner peace, as well as, love. I thought about what she was looking for and realized that is the dream we all hold and wish for.


The story turns out to be much more than I imagined as it puts a young artist in search of love and independence in unforgettable and regrettable circumstances. Always lured in by money and the idea of “love”, she continuously sacrifices her “self” for the security of love thinking it will fulfill her dream. When she finds herself within the "idea" of love, she is continually betrayed by death or deception; when she invests in the safety of true love, it is repeatedly taken away.

Compassion is all that I had for this woman, and it reminded me to be grateful for all that is presented to me as each step of her life was laid out before me. Her resilience and desire to keep moving forward toward her faith in self love is inspiring and yet heart wrenching as I watched her win and then lose over and over again.

The star reminds us that we must listen to our intuition even when the safety of money and promises tempt us to make decisions that go against our better judgement. Emotional intelligence is seldom wrong.

A quote from the movie stays with me "Life is about moments, and when you find one, you don't let go"

Go and rent this move, simply entitled, "Jolene". It will change you.

Jolene ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-j3Gwg2hYo

1 comment:

  1. Today's Globe features a review of a new movie starring Jessica Chastain and Helen Mirren. It's called "The Debt" and is directed by John Madden of Shakespeare in Love fame. They describe The Debt as a spy drama/psychological thriller. It debuted at last year's Film festival here in Toronto, and will be released Wednesday. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete