Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Not So Gentle Reminders

Just when you think you have it all together and then big awakenings appear out of nowhere; the kind that spin your head around and bring you back to reality really fast. It all started 4 months ago when I started feeling incredibly healthy. I woke up every morning without any stiffness in my fingers or toes, and I had energy like I haven’t had in years. I felt like a normal healthy human being without any health problems. It was like I was 30 years old again, and ready to do the world by noon.

I tried not to think about it and just enjoy this welcoming feeling of good health, but thoughts of wondering if I was in remission kept seeping through; was it really possible? Rather than set myself up for the chance that I was just having a good couple of weeks, I decided to go with it and do whatever felt good and talk to my rheumatologist during my 6 month check up this December. It is amazing how the mind and great medication can play tricks on you when things are going well. I joined a morning fitness group and started running a little bit. I pulled out my ski machine and incorporated it into my cardio workouts. Every day, I woke up a little earlier and stayed up a little later. I was mindful about certain physical limitations but, I found out soon enough that I was not mindful enough.

After 3 months of gradually increasing my running mileage and adding more time on the ski machine, along with, less sleep and more work, I hit the proverbial wall of injury. An acute Achilles tendon pull has left me icing and stretching my ankle and a calf muscle knot that refuses to release. I am still able to use my recumbent bike and work on my strength training with limited exercises at home for the time being but, I am finding it difficult succumbing to the slowing down of activity. To add icing to the cake, I managed to burn my arm on a lamp whose shade broke and fell off while I was trying to rush getting ready for a holiday event 4 days ago. The result is a third degree burn which is on the verge of infection due to my immune suppression. And so goes the incessant regression to patterns of long ago!

My rheumatologist visit came and went with a stern message that running would never be on my agenda again, and that, “yes, you are in a medicated remission, but take heed that the medication is the key ingredient of this feeling of wellness.” I was advised that I should go back to a balanced style of living and to be grateful that I am able to manage my disease as well as I do. It is a not so gentle reminder that when things are going well, we may just want to sit in the joy of it, rather than seek something better or more than what we are given. There are always two paths to take when empowerment comes our way; one is to use it to seek more gain which often takes us to a place of need and greed, and the other is to be thankful for an unexpected gift and to savour what it has to offer.

5 comments:

  1. Oh My! How the heck is that achilles anyhow?? Been there and done that, so be grateful you didn't rupture. That's a setback like no other. Slow down girl. A medicated remission is pretty terrific too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is getting better, but it is slow. The burn is actually a real pain and more of a concern for infection. I am monitering it all the time so, all is well. Taking the next few days to rest and read. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending some light to that burn and leg/ heel injury this morning.
    I am sorry to hear about your setback.... That's a big bummer. So glad you are sharing... We could all use a little reminder to love the progress we've made... already. It's in our nature to want to improve, advance further, make it all the way to the top. But we miss the perches and rest stops we were meant to stay in, not pass through to get to the next step. Soon you will be healed and ready to find a new rhythm again.... And get another chance to coast along at great. It's not a half bad place to spend some time, even though you will be tempted to reach for more;)
    Txo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings to you Diana - you are so positive and self aware - but do take great care. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Diana, and hopefully bunch of vigorous health your way! These a just little pebbles on our way. Watch them but jump high! Many Blessings!

    ReplyDelete