Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Photography and Apple Sauce


This photo has inspired me to make homemade apple sauce. As I stirred the pot full of goodness, I had visions of me as a child sitting at our kitchen table colouring while my mother made her October batch of “appelmouse”. The combination of apple and cinnamon created a wafting aroma throughout the house, and I could feel the warmth of the smooth mixture over my tongue without having eaten it yet. My mother was, and still is, a cook of immense talent. She has ebbed and flow through the changing eating patterns of our society, moving from the Dutch traditions of meatballs and gravy, deep fried croquets and chicken simmered in copious amounts of butter, to a healthier style of fish and chicken accompanied by a variety of vegetables and grains. She is a progressive cook who enjoys her food, including the preparation thereof.

Fall presents a yearning for us to get into the kitchen. It is the time of harvest and preparation for winter. Traditionally this is when we cook and jar and set aside food that will sustain us through the cold months ahead. This “feeling” is not so much a need anymore as our advanced society has provided most of us with a large food supply just a short car ride away. However, centuries of having to survive has created an innate want to get busy in the kitchen to produce wholesome nourishment for our families. It has become an experience that we want to enjoy, rather than a job that needs to be done. Our “free-flow” way of thinking takes over and lets our mind wander into whatever thoughts come our way.

Sitting now at my computer as my apple sauce simmers on the stove, I am thinking of the 19th day photography challenge that has popped up in my inbox. The e-course that I signed up for has presented me with a completely different way of thinking about food. I have always enjoyed food and have taken an incredible amount of time to understand the value of it from all angles. But, this course has motivated me to “see” food in a different light; I have developed a new appreciation for how our meal gets to our table and who brings it to us. Seeing food through the lens, and then anticipating what it will look like once downloaded on the computer is exciting and rejuvenating. The biggest revelation is how this positive attention to food has inspired me to put more effort into the creation of our meals. Making space in my day to think about colour, texture and presentation has lead to healthier, more appetizing dinners for my family.

The bonus is that Tracy’s e-course has taught me a few more photography tricks that I never would have thought of mastering. This black and white production with a tint of red is created from the MultiImpression computer program that I use. Who would have thought that, when you take the time to push a few buttons and play, exciting creations magically appear!!!!
Creativity inspires us!!

1 comment:

  1. I could smell the apples simmering as soon as I read your title. I'm sure the result was as great as the photo...Yum! xo

    ReplyDelete