Friday, October 7, 2011

"Beautiful Darkness"

These photos were taken as a result of an online photography course that I enrolled in with Tracy Olan.  Each day I, along with a group of photo and creative obsessed individuals, receive an email from Tracy describing a photo challenge.  Each challenge in some way encompasses the theme of "Harvest Time".  This particular challenge inspired us to think about the beauty of the darkness of the "light" season of summer coming to an end, and shifting our thoughts of sadness for the change into a celebration of the beginning of a new season


This is the 18th hole at Cataraqui Golf Course in Kingston, Ontario just as the sun was coming down at 6:15. The photo reminds me of the sadness that my boys feel this time of the year as they scramble to get a round of golf in before the sun goes down,   Avid golfers find this a bit of a "dark" time of the year as they know that they will be packing away their clubs soon.   This is somehow all balanced out with the joy they experience as they move more easily in the cool, fresh temperatures of autumn.


This was a last minute, "gotta get one more" shot.  Once I start taking pictures, I find it difficult to stop!!
I found the brightness of the sky with the sun peeking through created a real contrast with the darkness of the trees ~ pretty but, kind of eerie at the same time.  The definition of the rays streaking through the darkness brought brightness to the closing of the day.  xo


This guy, (yes, he's a guy as you can see!), does not look too happy that the sun is going down earlier as we move into fall.  I don't know whose dog this is, but I was late going to teach class that night and he was sitting by the path going up to the college. I was like a lunatic, searching for my camera in my bag (which I now carry with me because of this course) and I was begging him to "sit" and "stay" ~ He listened to me but, he didn't seem too amused ~ his expression reminds me of my husband when he is tired ~ lolz!!

2 comments:

  1. Such beautiful photos!! I love that you are posting them for all to enjoy. Happy Thanksgiving! xoxo

    ReplyDelete