Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Test of Resilience

After visiting a medical clinic today, I sat in my car and smiled at what had just happened to me. I was just diagnosed with shingles on the exact day that my column Having Faith in Yourself will Provide You With Resilience. Does anyone else see the irony in that?!?! At first I was utterly shocked that the painful rash I was dealing with was something that I perceive as extremely horrifying. I went into full victim mode, and my mind was filled with the “how can this be happening to me?” and “I don’t deserve this”. I spent the next 20 minutes waiting for a prescription and wandering around the drug store in a daze. I couldn’t think straight and I was totalling focused on the burning sensation I was feeling where the rash had developed....right under my bra strap!! When I got to the car, I sat behind the wheel and gulped down the first dose of medication and took a deep breath.

I didn’t turn on the engine right away, and I looked around the parking lot. It was a Saturday morning, and there were alot of people walking around the mall. I wondered how many of them had been given bad news within the last 24 hours. I thought of all the different things they could have been told, and I quickly realized that the news I received would not have been the worst thing communicated to anyone today. Quick reality check; I have a choice on how I can view this and how I am going to manage this situation, and I can do it as a pessimist and be miserable, or I can move through it with optimism and grace. So, with that train of thought, I leave you with my most recent Whig Standard column, the ‘Talk of Life’..... xoxo

4 comments:

  1. OMG! Diana! Shingles really?! When we think had it all...
    Well, on my Natural Health program we learnt a few of the spiritual causes of the diseases, not saying that is your problem because I don't know you that well, but here is a few pills of wonder:
    "Shingles comes in a high overwhelming stress, something you don't want to face that is totally humiliating you. Feeling guilty about what you don't want to face, you fear you will be found out about. Issue of unworthiness brought on by stress which depletes the immune system. A deep anxiety or inner pain that has been building up over a period of time."
    Heal well and fast! xoxo Babi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, I will not be upset if you delete this comment!
      Awesome music you added here!

      Delete
  2. I won't delete this comment because the truth is good for us even if it is something that we fear!! I have compromised myself as I have placed myself in a stressful situation. The shingles are simply a message to me to move forward and solve the problem....its all about choice. Thank you, Babi, for your honesty and courage to share it!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many people I know have had shingles, and if you got to it early, you will recover quickly. There is even a vaccine out there for it.
    This too shall pass .... so sorry to hear the news. xoxo

    ReplyDelete