Monday, September 13, 2010

Two years ago I received one of those emails that you think is just a joke that you will have a laugh at and then delete it. It was a “Friends” questionnaire that was meant to help you get to know your friends better. The questions were intriguing, and I found myself wanting to fill it out to share myself with those who I felt should know me better. I filled it out and sent it to my very closest friends; the ones I knew I could trust with my personal feelings, habits, likes and dislikes. It turned out to have a great impact on me. Within 24 hours I received my friends’ responses and I was blown away by their answers. The first thing that amazed me was how much I didn’t already know about the people I thought I knew so well. The second and most surprising thing that hit me was question number 25. “What did you want to be when you were little?”


The question itself was not surprising, but after sending my completed questionnaire out to my friends, I was taken aback when their answers came pouring back. Their perception of the question was clearly the most obvious as they answered, “a vet”, “a teacher”, “a journalist”, and so on. I, on the other hand, read the question and, without hesitating, typed out my answer, “to be loved”. It was not until I received my friends’ answers to the same question, all career oriented, that I realized how out of context my answer was. Even more interesting was that no one commented on the fact that my answer stuck out like a sore thumb.

I’m not sure why I answered, “to be loved” because I know that I was loved when I was young. Perhaps, I just knew that was the only thing that would ever truly matter. One thing that I do know for sure is that I have always made sure that my children know that they are loved……..a lot. The second thing that I have always instilled in them is that kindness be their most important goal in life. Kindness is love. Kindness is the ultimate expression of love; to be kind to others and to be kind to themselves. To love you is to love others because it will automatically flow from you to them. Once this happens, other great things will happen because only goodness comes from love.

So, today love yourself. Love your mind, your body and your soul. Be gentle and kind to yourself; you deserve it.

p.s. the questionnaire is on the most previous post if you want to fill it out and send it to your friends

2 comments:

  1. The Buddhist term 'lovingkindness' says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen...when people finally realize that love is all that matters, we will live in a great big 'lovely' world as one big 'loving' family!

    ReplyDelete