Monday, November 8, 2010

Outlet Malls, Abundance and Gratitude

After just returning from a spectacular holiday, I sit at my little desk and reflect on how grateful I am for the time spent with my husband and our two amazing friends. Looking out the window of my office provides me with a shivering scene complete with a thin layer of frost on the grass and neighbours bundled up to compensate for the shock of the change in temperature. A far cry from the 40 degree weather we enjoyed in the desert climate of Palm Springs, or as we called it, “Paradise”.

While en route to our sunny destination, the only vision I had was laying by the pool, a cocktail in my hand, palm trees swaying in the gentle breeze and the sun shining above. Relaxation at its best with perhaps a little shopping mixed in for pleasure. Because all four of us LOVE to shop, we were more than happy to take a trip to the local outlet malls. I know the words “outlet mall” may make you shudder as you see row after row of the same stores that you see in every city that hosts one of these vast retail villages. But no, close your eyes and envision this, Juicy Couture, Prada, Coach, J Crew, Banana Republic, Fossil, Ed Hardy, Ugg, Gucci, Nine West and so much more. Unbelievable!! You can understand how a few hours at 3 large premiere outlet malls became a daily outing.

We laughed as each day we decided would be our last drive over to the enticing menagerie of label heaven. Once back at the hotel, I felt small waves of selfishness for all that I had bought. And yet, after a great dinner, some wine, a good night’s rest and a morning walk or run, along with a coffee at the local coffee shop, my feelings of spending regret dissipated. A quick swim and a shower and we were ready for the 20 minute trek back for more.

I am actually not a high end “label” kind of gal, but I think that the reason is because I really normally can’t afford these items of quality and beauty. Once in the throes of massive crowds in a 70% sale at a Coach outlet, it is hard to fight the bug of “want”. It was contagious and I kept telling myself that I didn’t need anything else. Then the almighty justification wave crept over me. My kids!! I can buy them their Christmas gifts here and save a lot of money!! Perfect; one for her and one for him, another for her and another for him, and so on and so on.............. Again back at the hotel I marvelled at how well I had done. I laid everything out on the bed and showed my husband my collection of shopping treasures. He laughed and asked me how we were going to bring it all home. Not to worry; I can fit them all in my suitcase............

As it turned out I learned a couple of lessons. Pack minimally and use a larger suitcase than you need. Bring another larger bag, but still carry on size, for items that you purchase while on vacation. We took one last drive over to the outlet mall out of necessity. I needed to make one final purchase; another suitcase to carry Christmas home. I’m not really sure if I saved much money during this shopping excursion with the added cost of the extra suitcase and its subsequent check in charge at the airport. What I do know for sure is that I had a great time and I can check this experience off, along with the camel ride, as another one of those “feel good” things that I have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment