Friday, September 10, 2010

Pyjamas

Driving through the east end of Detroit last weekend to get to my son’s university was a humbling experience. There was a 5 mile section where the aftermath of the recession had left a very obvious impression. Other than gas stations, all businesses were boarded up and razor fencing traced the property lines. Houses were left abandoned as their owners were unable to make their mortgage payments due to the loss of jobs. Some homes and apartments were still occupied with windows broken and lawns and gardens unkempt and ignored. The vision was that of devastation, but when I closed my eyes I could feel the aura that was even more difficult to absorb. People walked the streets, but there was a feeling of aimlessness and no purpose. My family drove through in silence for a while feeling misplaced and fearful; misplaced because of our obvious abundance and fearful because this was an unknown existence for us. The epiphany that this type of downfall is a possibility for any one of us was overwhelming.


We started discussing the situation a little, and my son was more receptive to the it than I thought he would be. He had already experienced his plate of humility during his freshman year. The shock factor was no longer there, and he was much more accepting of the obvious poverty and the demise of those affected by it. By the time we drove through the area, we passed by the golf course where he practices and large, beautiful homes popped out from nowhere. Strange; it was like driving from one world into another.........

Yesterday, I encountered this same phenomenon when I dropped off some used clothing to a friend of mine who was collecting items for those in need. Driving into a section of town where poverty abounds and the less fortunate reside, I was once again struck with my dose of humble pie. I drove up to the front of the building and looked around at those watching me park my light blue Subaru. Walking up to the entrance to meet my friend I encountered young teenage girls pushing strollers, groups of boys boasting how wasted they got on the weekend, and another group huddled together smoking cigarettes. I soon realized that babies, alcohol and cigarettes were probably the least of their worries. The “feel” of the area signalled to me that these individuals were just trying to get by. They were focused on food, shelter and clothing and not a lot more. I thought about my daughter and how fortunate she was to not have to worry about where her next meal came from or what she was going to wear tomorrow. I thought about how thankful my son should be for his university education and experience. I thought about how grateful I was to not have to worry about how I would pay for my family’s groceries. I thought about how I will never take for granted our education, our home, our clothes, our furniture and our jobs.

I received a message from my friend later in the day indicating that one of the recipients of the clothing was so happy because she had received a pair of pyjamas. A pair of pyjamas!!!!! Can you imagine being that grateful for a pair of pyjamas? I put my pyjamas on every night and I never think, “Wow, I love these pyjamas!” It is astounding to me that there are people living just 20 minutes from me that don’t have a pair of pyjamas, a winter coat, or, in some cases, a place to sleep at night.

And so, tonight I will make supper for my family, complete with dessert and coffee, and I will think about the girl who is wearing my pyjamas. I know that she will survive her current situation and create a new destiny for herself. I know this because the gratitude that she expressed when she received the pyjamas will be transferred on to all that she creates and receives in her life. Her gratitude will move her to where she needs to be.

2 comments:

  1. Check out the Go Gratitude website. They also offer good reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, through your writing, you are reaching not only into your core values but also giving others a chance to think about theirs.
    Love goes along way...pyjamas are a start, a beginning of sorts...an open door to an open heart. Gratitude and appreciation abound!! xo ali

    ReplyDelete