Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Conversation Debut

This week our “Conversations” have been about “leading life from my authentic self”. Because Monday night was the debut of the dinner series, I parked my car a few blocks away so that I would have time to re-establish an even, slower breath and sense of calm. My perception of what others believe the leader or facilitator of such an event should carry herself was one of complete self-confidence.

I had one block to go, and I had little time to get it together. I suddenly realized that having the awareness of my trepidation was all I needed. If I felt it and was awake to it, I would be much more able to manage my reaction to it. This is one of the skills of an authentic leader.  I took in a deep breath, thought about how nervous the 8 women participating were going to be, and realized that we all had a common thread. Knowing that they were feeling the angst of the worry of being “judged” allowed me to recognize that I needed to step up and assure them that this would not happen. I knew that I had the ability to create a trusting and safe environment, and I needed to do that from the moment I walked in the door.

We ordered a drink, and moved through brief introductions. I explained the process and then began the conversation. Within minutes someone else jumped in with their view of what we were discussing, then another, and another; beautiful!! The food came, and I continued to introduce new points; the women who were now forming friendships, continued to express their thoughts. Nerves were gone for everyone including me, and the evening was a success.

If you reflect on what I have described, it may tweak a vision of a gathering of women at a friend’s house or a downtown restaurant. That is exactly what it resembled. We talked about some deep “stuff” and allowed ourselves to be vulnerable at times, knowing that no one would criticize what we felt. This is the “code” of Deserving Women; no judgement, only support and compassion.

The evening went quickly, and before I knew it we were paying our bills, and hugs were being shared all around. Success is evaluated by the extent a goal has been achieved. My goal was to bring a group of women together, allow them their voice, and their feeling valued as a result. Mission was accomplished.

Lunch and Coffee "Conversations begin over the next two weeks...go to http://www.daretobedeserving.com/ for more into.....

2 comments:

  1. I was about to ask you how your first session had gone, and now I know...Kudos! More to come too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful synergy ...women coming together to be true, to be clear, and to be supportive, without judgement. A good place to be;) Great work Diana, you have starting something beautiful...
    Txo

    ReplyDelete