Saturday, June 9, 2012

If you want to make a difference #JustSlowDownAnd visit the Heather & Whitney Haynes Gallery


As I walked across Market Square, I suddenly felt a familiar stirring of fearful cautiousness that provides me with a warning that something is amiss. I have practiced and learned to listen carefully to the message this wave of emotion offers me; to ignore it would be personally irresponsible as it would not serve me well. I deserve more than to ignore a sign of discomfort and attempt to fly by the seat of my pants.

I was on my way to the gallery opening in Kingston, Ontario of artist/painter extraordinaire, Heather Haynes and her equally talented sister, photographer/jewellery designer, Whitney Haynes. Although there is a small sense of shame as I tell you that I had not heard of these well known humanitarians until the day before this event, it didn't surprise me as I keep myself somewhat sheltered. Many who are close to me would say that I am well connected in my community, and yet I stick to small circles where I feel comfortable and focused on what I am intended for.

As I moved closer to the gallery location, I suddenly realized that there would likely be a tightly knit crowd at this event that, for the most part, I would not know many. This, along with other insecurities, triggered the crazy gremlins in my head that told me there was no way I would fit into this group of invitees. An additional fear of earlier patterning presented itself as a bead of sweat moved down the middle of my spine. I listened to it, and it stopped me in my tracks. I told myself, “Listen and you will learn”. I looked in the direction of some voices to my left, and saw a sign that read ‘lamb for sale’. I smiled at the fact that you can actually buy lamb at an outdoor market; it seemed odd to me. This distraction was a gift as it allowed me the time that I needed to take a step back, breathe and determine the reality of all of the messages being fired my way. Looking ahead, I could see the gallery across the street. A young girl was playing the guitar, and there was a group of people chatting and laughing on the side walk. It was then that I knew I had the choice to determine the difference between which message was real and which was not. I did know the truth, and I pushed the rest aside, and walked confidently toward the warmth of the sweet girl’s music.

I walked through the door with trepidation but it quickly dissipated the moment I laid my eyes on one of Heather's paintings. The look in the woman’s eyes was filled with fear, and yet, it also exuded gratitude; I was overwhelmed with the artist’s ability to provide this contradiction in one piece. Also displayed, was a biography of the woman in the painting. I read it, and a tear came to my eye; it wasn’t so much of sympathy, but of understanding. I was overwhelmed with warmth and calm. Within minutes, I was taken away from my anxious state and absorbed in the mystification of what hung on the walls of this studio. I took a moment to look around the room, and found myself surrounded by painting after painting and story after story of the children and women of Africa.

It was like I was all alone in this room filled with brave and soulful beings, and it felt incredibly peaceful. And yet, I was overwhelmed by a wave of sadness that I haven’t been able to shake for days. After I left the gallery, I realized that I had been there for 30 minutes before I looked up and recognized some friends I knew. I remembered how worried I was just before walking through the gallery’s door, and how quickly the worry dissolved with my first glimpse of a series of paintings that, like a written novel, tell a passionate story of those who are close and also very, very far away.

I left the gallery with a ‘wrap’ bracelet by Whitney Haynes that I have been wearing every day since. As I place it around my wrist each morning, there is a warmth and ‘feel good’ that comes with it; some kind of connection that I cannot describe. What I know for sure is that this sister team provides a natural tranquility more powerful than any meditation you will ever practice. There is a subtle and strong dedication to LovingKindness communicated through their art that provides everyone in their presence with incredible empowerment; a gift that these girls provide with global authenticity.



3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to two very talented artists! I saw one of Heather's paintings hanging in a friend's condo in Yorkville last week, and it was a nice reminder of the talented creative community in Kingston.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! Just went there and got an amazing belt with Heather's art work on it!
    xoxo
    babi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Mindfulness Meditation Kingston & New Malden, UK. Join our weekly meditation meeting at 18:30 every Thursday. The purpose of this group is, as the Buddha said, to seek out "wise and beneficial friends" who support us and our Meditation practice. As well as enhancing our spiritual growth significantly Meditating with others can bring a tremendous amount of healing to everyone who attends.
    Mindfulness Meditation Kingston & New Malden

    ReplyDelete