Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Lovingkindness"

As I wake up to this wonderfully sunny, crisp winter day, I think about what will come of it.... Any day for me can make a turn from what I intended at any moment during its course. I am diligent with the inputting of my day timer yet, flexible knowing that I will probably not stick to the ink it is written in. My OCD has had difficulty adjusting to my newfound view of change and simply accepting what comes my way. However, becoming aware of how much easier life has become by slowing down and breathing makes me a true agent of change.
It makes me think about the mantra of ‘lovingkindness’ by Jack Kornfield.....

“May I be filled with loving-kindness
May I be well
May I be peaceful and at ease
May I be happy”

When in mediation, I say these words over and over again, sometimes in quiet and sometimes out loud. I sit in my studio with candles and lights dimly lit. Repeating the verse soothes and calms me, but more importantly, I think about the message I am sending. This is a message not only sent to others but, also to myself. ‘Lovingkindness’ is one of my values, and it is ranked pretty high on my list of beliefs. Remembering that any value we hold is one that we also expect in return, I think about the responsibility I hold to provide myself with the same ‘lovingkindness’ that I bestow on others, and to deflect any ill intentions away from my being.

This is where it gets tricky as the people in our lives, our loved ones and those within our circles are not always the most loving or kind. We struggle with boundaries and where to draw the line. Maybe they aren’t aware of what they are saying or doing; we’re sure they don’t intend any harm. But then I remember that every moment in life comes with a choice, and the choice to be kind is always an option. No matter what state of mind we are in, we are still aware of what we are choosing to give and receive. It is being able to slow down, breathe and to think about what choice we will make, what line we will cross, and what line we will draw, that makes all the difference.

Most of us are quick to spread the love among the people we know, but are hesitant to ‘call’ someone on their lack thereof. We are actually quite courteous to those who harm us over and over again as we sit politely and allow them to quietly throw daggers our way; where did that value of ‘lovingkindness’ go and our expectation thereof? And so, I sit here on this day which my friend at www.zendollworkshop.com so eloquently describes as ‘Silent Sunday’ and reflect on the ‘lovingkindness’ meditation with its obvious message. It makes sense and it sounds beautiful. It really is as simple as making the choice to send and receive all that is loving and all that is kind, and believing that we are all deserving of what this provides.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this lovely post, Diana! I believe in kindness and that can be the key for all the doors! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your message of 'choice ' is a good one, and 'lovingkindness' is the best guide when choices are tricky. I love this post. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic website, could you be interested in going through an interview concerning just how you made it? You can visit my site.
    Mindfulness Meditation Kingston & New Malden

    ReplyDelete