Sunday, May 22, 2011

Lover's Concerto

Lover's Concerto by Kelly Chan

On Thursday we went to see our daughter run at a track meet. On the way there we drove through an amazing thunderstorm, and witnessed lightening and the first rainbow of the season. Although the storm was spectacular (I love thunderstorms) we realized that the race may be cancelled due to the weather conditions. It was difficult seeing the beauty in a storm that would possibly impede an already fully booked next day. Another hour driving there, an hour back and spending an hour at the meet would require me being more flexible than I wanted to be on an already planned Friday.

Watching the wipers flip back and forth at full throttle was starting to stress me out. I decided to slow down my breathing and close my eyes. I moved myself into a meditation in order to focus on the moment and enjoy it. I listened to the storm and recited my mantra “enjoy the day” over and over again to the rhythm of the rain. It didn’t take long before I became calm.

We arrived at the track and sat in the car waiting for the rain to slow down. The races were delayed due to the lightening, and we listened quietly to the music on the radio. Reclining in my seat, I looked up and saw the beauty in the rain sitting on the sun roof window. The storm had stopped and the rain drops lay peaceful with the sun shining on them like a symphony of musicians lined up playing a concerto for us. The races were back on and I marvelled at how gentle the rain looked now that the storm had passed.




2 comments:

  1. A story beautifully told. How did Olivia do? xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! Not well! She struggles with a chronic IT band issue so she was not in racing shape. I think she is frustrated, but going with the flow. :)

    ReplyDelete