Friday, December 3, 2010

The Dreaded Gift Card

I had a great discussion began this morning with a sweet couple at a local coffee shop. I met them there many months ago, and have gotten to know them a bit from brief daily conversations. We started talking about a great jewellery line, Silpada, she and I like; she had on a pair of the earrings. I happened to indicate to her husband that one of the rings would be a great Christmas gift for her. He was quick to let me know that he prefers to give gift certificates. Oh my, not the “quick, easy to find, no thought provided” gift certificate!!!! My shocked expression said it all. He looked at me and asked what I thought about giving a gift card.

I didn’t want to tear a strip off him and make him feel bad, but I also owed it to all of the women in the world who receive these unthinkable pieces of plastic year after year. And so, I very gently indicated to him that women do not like gift cards. The only type of certificate that would be acceptable would be one that provides us with a spa service or a trip of some sort. I realize that this seems extraordinarily ungrateful, but the best part of the gift for us is that you actually put some thought into it; the fact that you asked questions and really tried to figure out what we like or what suits us.

Once my fellow feline and I agreed that all gift cards should be banished from the Christmas list, another one of our male morning coffee drinkers joined our chat. The “gift card giver” was quick to ask him if he was partial to an actual present for his wife or the gift in the envelope route. The women at the table were relieved to find out that there is a man out there who actually takes the time to find the perfect gift for his wife. Our recent visitor let us in on how he decides on his wife’s present.

He actually takes the time to choose his wife’s Christmas gifts by following a guideline from his heart. He has decided that he wants to meet her needs as a whole person. He achieves this by purchasing something for her brain, her body and her soul. Yes, even her soul!! I know, he may have heard this on Oprah or Dr. Phil, or maybe she even alluded to this great idea, but the truth is that he actually “got it” and does go out to find these three items all on his own. Very impressive, don’t you think?

So, for all the men out there who run out on December 24th for the infamous gift card..............don’t do it!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment