Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dinner and The Artist's Date

One of the things I encourage the women in my groups to do every week is to schedule an "Artist's" date into their day timers. At first they balk at the word "Artist" but, I quickly remind them that being creative encompasses many things; even solving a problem can be a creative event. I try to include an artist's date into every day, and it usually includes something where I get my hands into ink or paint, or play with paper. However, yesterday I decided to incorporate my creativity into bringing a meal to the table.

I was wrestling with what to cook as it was my turn (each member of my family has a few days in which they are accountable for the night's supper), and I was totally uninspired. Having only 2 days a week to cook is fabulous, however, you really feel like you want to do a good job, especially when the others have done the same. I had an hour to get it together, and I was feeling a little anxiety as my mind was focused on the arrival of the women coming for their group meeting.

Luckily, I became mindful of my stress creeping up on me, and I slowed myself down. I needed to turn this crazy feeling into something more manageable and even positive. I decided that I would make this an artist's date. I turned the TV. off and threw on a cd; Tony Bennett, a classic. I grabbed the latest 'Best Health' magazine and started leafing through the recipe section, and found what I was looking for. The music wasn't loud enough; I cranked it up and started chopping, stirring and sautéing. I knew that I had hit my happy spot when I started to sing with Mr. Bennett and forgot the upcoming arrival of my ladies. I worked diligently and cleaned up after each prep. The results were beautiful scallops resting in a homemade bed of guacamole, accompanied by rice, kale chips, raw carrots and cilantro.


My creative yearning was satisfied along with my tummy, and my stress level had gone from about 6 to 0......ah, the magic of creativity. Thank you to Julia Cameron of ‘The Artist’s Way’ for introducing me to the splendid experience of the “Artist’s Date”.

2 comments:

  1. Wow what a beautiful supper... I am inspired to kick it up a notch in the kitchen. Creatively speaking! Thank you;)
    Txo

    ReplyDelete
  2. great dinner looking!
    Any excuse to get together is always fun, thanks for sharing!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete