Sunday, November 14, 2010

"To Sleep or Not to Sleep"

Today started with an early morning driving my daughter to work for 6:30. I usually crawl out of bed and quietly jump in the car with my pyjamas on and a scarf wrapped around my neck to keep me cozy. I then come straight back and, if I’m lucky, my dog will have slept through the entire event, and I can sneak back to bed for another hour. Unfortunately, today didn’t work out that way. When I returned, I opened the basement door slowly and made sure to close it without making a sound. Tip toeing up the stairs, I was hopeful as I didn’t hear any movement on the hardwood above or the tingling of Jake’s tags. Half way up the stairs I looked toward the second floor and there he was, sitting on the mat with his ears perked up and fully awake. I smiled in spite of myself as I traded the extra hour sleep for a freshly brewed pot of coffee, some toast, the morning paper and a cuddle from my spaniel.

An hour later I was wide awake from too much caffeine and “man’s best friend” was fast asleep on the cushion beside me. I decided to take advantage of my energy surge and pulled out my favourite banana bread recipe. While it baked, I cleaned the bathroom and then emptied the dishwasher. Once the kitchen was tidied up, I threw a load of laundry in and ironed a few shirts. By now it was 9 a.m. and the effects of the Starbuck’s Christmas Blend had worn off. I peeked in the living room to check on Jake; still snoozing. I optimistically pivoted and began to move toward the bedroom. Sliding under the duvet and cradling my pillow under my neck I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that I might get a 30 minute nap in.

I just started drifting off when I heard the jingling of the bell on the back door. The sound of the bell pulled me out of my relaxed state, but I was still hopeful that it wouldn’t ring again. No such luck; Jake’s nose hit the bell again and with more force. He needed to pee. Maybe if I just ignore it, he will hold it and go lay down. Wrong again; he smashed the bell so hard that it hit the door twice and the vibrations filled my head with guilt. I threw the warm covers off and pulled my sweater over my head. Shuffling into the kitchen, Jake turned his head and looked at me as if saying, “It’s about time”. Opening the door, he ran down the stairs into the backyard.

Watching him from the window, he made me smile as he chased a squirrel, peed on my evergreen and then sat in the middle of the yard with his nose in the air. I looked at my watch and realized that I needed to get showered and ready for company coming for brunch. Jake scratched at the door and I let him in. I then got ready and on my way to the kitchen walked by the living room. The sun was shining brightly where my puppy laid trying to catch as much heat from the rays as possible. As I turned around I could hear him snoring loudly.  For a while there I actually thought that when my company left I might sneek a little shut eye. Who was I trying to kid; I knew that at that point my sweet dog would be ready for a walk and he wouldn't take no for an answer.  I guess, as usual, sleep will have to wait.  Sweet dreams every one.  xo

1 comment: