Saturday, April 9, 2011

Once in a Blue Moon

Once the weather shifts from the bitter cold to above zero temperatures, my dog and good buddy, Jake is blessed with a long daily walk. Unfortunately, anything more than five degrees below freezing causes my fingers and toes extreme grief so, we only attempt a quick walk around the block. During the work week, I wait until everyone has left for school and work. On Saturdays, I take my time to read the paper and have coffee and breakfast with my husband. I then get dressed and come out to let him know that I am leaving for my walk. Every Saturday, I ask him if he would like to come with me, and I cannot remember the last time that he said, “Yes”. Until today, when he looked up at me, and agreed to come along.

Rather than show my surprise, I told him I would wait for him to get ready, and I smiled to myself as I went to get my coat. I don’t mind walking on my own; I actually quite like it as I do a lot of thinking and planning while I move along my route. However, I also enjoy walking with my husband as it provides us with the luxury of uninterrupted conversation. It’s not that there are a lot of people in our house or even much going on, but there are other distractions that get in the way.

There is the ever present vibration of the blackberrys, the drone of the T.V with C.N.N. and the Golf channel, the lap tops that each of us have readily available with emails coming in at a steady stream, and our daughter’s constant movement throughout the house. With all of this surround sound, it is difficult to stay focused on any serious or casual conversation.

So, when my husband was affirmative on the walk, I was secretly ecstatic. I would have him all to myself. I would most definitely be doing most of the talking because I am the talker in our relationship, and he would be 100 percent focused on every word I would say because he would have nothing else to look at or listen to. And so it went, just like that. I spoke, he listened and then provided affirmations, suggestions, and opinions; my great and smart sounding board. It seems like such a small thing to be thankful for, but, if you think about it, it really is quite a big deal ~ to have your husband's complete attention for one whole hour, without interruption! I will continue to ask my partner to go for a walk with me, every Saturday, and for that every "once in a blue moon" that he says, “Yes”, I will be very grateful to have him all to myself.



1 comment:

  1. You should feel quite honoured to have company on this the Master's weekend. All eyes were on the TV in our household. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete