Friday, March 11, 2011

Complicated Coffee

http://www.thewhig.com/PrintArticle.aspx?e=3012059

When I first read the column, see link above, by Brian MacLeod (coffee shops say a lot about people) I immediately placed my self on the defensive post as he provided various opinions on the reasons individuals chose to walk through either the Starbucks’ door or the Tim Hortons’ door. The entire premise that we choose one over the other based on politics is, quite frankly, ludicrous. I do frequent Starbucks on a daily basis, and I am one of those people who sit in front of the fireplace in “the cluster” discussing a multitude of topics with fellow Starbonites. I admit from the outside it may appear that we have formed some kind of friendly cult. However, I think I can speak for my cluster companions when I say that we drive in the Starbucks parking lot, first and foremost, because we love the coffee. No political agenda could ever influence a true coffee lover’s choice of their most important first beverage of the day; we really don’t care where the beans are grown.

The second deciding factor is unarguably the atmosphere. I just really like the music and the comfy chairs which has nothing to do with who I am going to vote for or whether I want to recycle or not. This environment does initiate relaxation and conversation, two things that we all deserve and are greatly lacking in our world of “getting things done”. The fact that the employees (I don’t care what their titles are) are kind and customer service focused is the icing on the red velvet cupcake.

I was offended that Mr. MacLeod would think me an elitist because I choose to sit in a comfy chair listening to the music of my favourite genre while enjoying my caffeine fix. Just as I am sure the patrons of Tim Hortons are offended that they are not considered worthy of the elitist status because they chose to go across the street. We, Starbonites, apparently, only talk about “books, community meetings and the environment”; how boring we are!! I can assure you that those of us huddled in front of the fireplace (which is working as I sit in front of it typing on my laptop) have wonderful conversations about hockey games, our kids’ activities, and day to day observations along with those political, religious and business discussions. I also know that the Timmies clan are just as capable of discussing the environment and their political party, along with making business deals while sipping their double, doubles.

As for the observation that one finds only university students “discussing how to control the world” and “nicely dressed” 50 somethings at Starbucks, Mr. MacLeod you need to get out more. As I sit here now, I see 4 people of various ages, young to old using laptops and ipads. They are the minority here, but if their electronic device determines where they would have their coffee, they are here because of the free wifi. There is also a room full of patrons ranging in age from their twenties to their seventies, none of us are stressing about how we want to gain control over anything; we really are quite relaxed! As for the attire of us “elitists”, I see sweats, uniforms, business suits, jeans and t-shirts, work shoes, high heels, and a variety of running shoes; the same as our fellow coffee lovers in Tim Hortons.

In the end, can’t we just simplify this and admit that each of us chooses our coffee destination to suit a personal preference of taste and surroundings, rather than basing it on political preference or social status? It seems that my latte order just became even more complicated than it already was!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Well written, and hopefully it will soon be published along with a few others who felt the same way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete