Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Smiles

Flying home from Vancouver yesterday on the 11:30 a.m.West Jet flight 650 I met a kind woman who happened to be one of the flight attendants.  She stood at the door and welcomed everyone walking on board. She had a personality that exuded positive and contagious energy, and an extraordinary smile. Ironically, just as I was thinking this, she commented on my smile and compared my “sparkling” eyes to Bette Midlers’.

Something I have discovered is that we often notice traits in other people that we own ourselves. We unconsciously find them either more attractive or more offensive in someone else. We tend to recognize, compliment or criticize them easily while looking from the other side.

It is a great day when we finally value our own attributes and forgive our transgressions with more ease than we are used to doing. Rather than feeling like we need to “change” ourselves, we realize that we are pretty much alright just the way we are. This allows us to grow and evolve rather than try to change into someone we are not.

After I chatted with my new friend (I cannot remember her name; it was as unique as she was) while waiting in line for the washroom, I realized why I was drawn to her. It was that smile. Every time she spoke to someone, she looked directly into their eyes and she immediately smiled. It was a sincere gesture that came naturally to her. She was also intrigued by people, and she asked them questions attempting to get to know them. It was obvious that this was something she truly loved to do. She found people interesting, and she had found an occupation that incorporated her love and interest of people into every minute of her day. Whether she was thinking of this when she chose her profession or not, I do not know, but it certainly worked out for her because she seemed to find joy in every aspect of her what she was doing.

When we walked off the plane, she was the person that West Jet had chosen to say good bye to their passengers; good call!! She focused all of her attention on each person as she addressed them while they disembarked. I could see her smile as I moved up the aisle to leave, and when it was my turn to say good bye, we simultaneously said, ``keep smiling``!

This is someone who makes every person she meets in a day feel great. She may not know it, but this is her purpose in life and she does it well and without missing a beat. I wish her much joy and hope that she receives as many smiles in a day as she gives away.

1 comment:

  1. Nice story Diana. And I love the new buddhas! Can't wait to hear more about the west... xoxo

    ReplyDelete