Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Expecting the Best

I always experience an inkling of hesitation when approaching someone for a favour. It is very seldom that I ask any one for their time or space unless I am able to provide them with something in return. However, I have come to realize that there are more people in the world willing and wanting to give than there are those who wish only to receive. I was blessed to have met Susan at Marchant Rubber Stamps earlier this year and to have had a very welcoming conversation with her today.

I approached her with the idea of providing her customers with my “Artist’s Way” 12 step workshop brochure believing that my creative workshops were the perfect fit with her shop and all that she had to offer. The jitters came as I drove over and started wondering if she would recognize the same value that I did. Scepticism mounted as that silly chatter began talking at the back of my brain. She’s successful; why would she bother giving me the opportunity to benefit from what she had spent years to build?

With all of this mounting inside of me, I managed to put on my hat of courage and walk confidently into her well-stocked store of stamps and scrap booking supplies. Stumbling a little on my first few words, she smiled warmly at me, and her body language allowed me to continue without any regret. I explained what my workshops entailed, describing week 6 as a creative cluster during which we create card masterpieces utilizing materials and many items that she sells in her store. I finished my blurb, and Susan quickly made a spot on her counter near her cash register for a small display which included my brochures and the text book, “The Artist’s Way”.

I walked away thankful that there are people like Susan in the world. People who value other’s creative spirit, and have giving souls. Entrepreneurship still thrives with the magic of networking combined with individual passion. From all of this, I have learned that expecting the best in people usually provides you with just that, the best.

check out the Marchant web site and blog for great creative ideas.......

www.marchantpapermemories.com/Home2.html
http://www.marchantspapermemories.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Di. Did you get in and out of her store without buying anything?? That's willpower!

    ReplyDelete