Friday, March 25, 2011

The Longevity of Joy

I recognized so much of me as I was having a conversation with a young lady joining a work shop this morning. We were discussing the incredible value that she places on having to fill every moment of her day with something productive. It brought back memories of a person that used to live inside of me, but who I have long abandoned.

It is true that I sometimes fight the urge to make a list or think about what I could be accomplishing, rather than enjoying something without a task oriented purpose. However, for the most part, it doesn’t present itself anymore because these needs were “fillers” for me in the past. They were my unconscious “go to” when I didn’t want to deal with what was really lacking in my life. The problem back then was that I knew I was missing something, but I wasn’t brave enough to discover what it was. I thought that if I did, it would reveal a “not good enough” self. I hadn’t discovered my true self and what lay down in the depth of my soul.

How do you explain this to someone and what is that “soul” thing? Is it spirituality? Is it God? Is it your purpose? Is it your significance in this universe? Is it wisdom? How do you describe something that hasn’t been discovered yet? Because that is what we are looking for; that little significant something that we know is within us but, we haven’t noticed yet or don’t know how to get to. You need to be at a place in your life when you are willing to allow yourself to investigate each layer until you reach the spot of discovery, your soul. It can be painful and joyful all at the same time. The end result is triumphant.

Many have told me that you need to be older and have experienced decades of life to be at the point of “soul discovery”. Not so. The woman I spoke to this morning is 20 years old and oh so wise. She has experienced more than anyone her age should experience, and she is very ready to dig deep and come out feeling loved and deserving, as we all should.

She was not desperate or anxious, sad or happy; just incredibly ready to do the work. She looked in my eyes and said, “I don’t have fun anymore; I just want to have fun”. What an epiphany for her; she is looking for the joy of life and all that will bring to her. She will find her purpose, and she will live authentically for longer than most.

No comments:

Post a Comment