Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Being Wise and Flabby Bellies

Watching an episode of Oprah featuring Bo Derek, I was reminded again of how balance naturally and repeatedly presents itself. She remarked that as we grow older and our bodies begin to slowly betray us, it is somewhat reassuring that our minds compensate by becoming more the wiser. What an incredible statement of the universe’s ability to take and then give back.

This message came to me in a timely manner as it was just this morning that I pulled out a pair of pants not worn for a few months. They were slightly tighter than previously worn, and I was perplexed as I haven’t changed my eating or my physical activity. It didn’t take me long to figure out what was going on. I’m getting older and everything is slowing down a bit. The metabolism isn’t what it used to be, and the old body is starting to shift.

The great thing is that it doesn’t really bother me. I could work out more, but I really loath strength training, so that’s not happening!!! This is the “getting wiser” balancing act coming in as I am consciously choosing to enjoy spending my time on experiencing life rather than dwelling on my inevitable flaccid waist line. How interesting that someone once dubbed “the perfect 10” triggered the epiphany of mind/body balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment