Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Thinker

My husband’s parents had a statue in their house for as long as I knew them. It belonged to my father in law and my mother in law gave it to us when he passed away. The statue sits in the corner of our bedroom, and I often look at the statue of the man sitting, chin in hand and eyes closed. The statue is called “The Thinker”. The original was created by Auguste Rodin, and it was originally titled “The Poet”.


I would often wonder what he could possibly be thinking of for hours on end. His slumped posture suggests worry, and sometimes I think he must be dealing with some sort of turmoil or struggle. If he is troubled, there must be a solution to whatever is keeping him in such deep thought. I want to reach out and help him find a resolution for what ails him.

Thinking of his original title, “The Poet”, I wonder if maybe he is working on a poem in the quiet of his corner. Perhaps he is not troubled but, just in need of introspection and inspiration. I tip toe past him so as not to disturb his creativity. He doesn’t notice me because he is absorbed in his passion for words. I will not disturb him because I too value the need for solitude during moments of artistic flow.

Today I stopped and saw him thinking in the glow of the sun shining through the window. It was then that I realized what this man of bronze was doing. He no longer looked absorbed in anything as intense as worry or passion. His energy was calm and reflective. It occurred to me that he may be enjoying an early morning meditation. One that would provide him with the balance and ease to think with reason, solve any problems he may have, and create great words of wisdom and rhyme.

I decided to stop what I was doing, sit in front of him so that we were face to face and take the time for my own meditation. I would like to share one with you that I recently received from a friend of mine and which I love to practice for the start and end of each day. Enjoy.

Loving-Kindness Meditation

“May I be filled with loving-kindness

May I be well

May I be peaceful and at ease

May I be happy”

Repeat for self, family, friends, community, country, world, and universe (with a smile on your face)

1 comment:

  1. Nice meditation, and you caught the perfect angle in your photo of 'The Thinker'. xo

    ReplyDelete