Monday, August 23, 2010

Recipe for Happiness

I held an infant in my arms this morning, and I tried to bring myself back to the time when I cradled my children, who are now 20 and 16 years old. I closed my eyes and envisioned both of them snuggled in on my chest. I took a deep breath to remember the way they smelled. I touched her forehead to remind me of how soft their skin was when I caressed them as I rocked them to sleep. It all came back to me within minutes. After I left, I drove away in my car, and I started recounting each phase that they went through until now. Not only have they grown physically, but they have grown emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually; maintaining their individuality throughout. They are kind and generous, independent and creative. Unconsciously, they measure their success by their integrity and character.  They are not defined by the things they do but instead, by whom they are and how they treat others.

When I think of the individuals they have become, I am proud to be their parent. I think, “a job well done”. And then I realize how easy it was for their father and me to provide them with the tools to be successful; with the words of wisdom and sensible advice; with the love and attention and with the discipline and support. It is my children who should be proud of themselves as they made all of the difficult decisions in their lives to take them to the places they are now. They created goals, followed passions, chose logically and sensibly, endured defeat and celebrated success. How easy it would have been for them to take the easy road and followed others, and not challenge themselves by being themselves. Seldom have I heard either of them indicate that s/he could not do something that they really wanted. Each of them exudes confidence, and each has her/his own level of comfort. Balance of life is important to both of them, and for that they are blessed. They are both eager to learn more and experience life. Mixing all of that with their curiosity of the world and they have created a recipe for happiness.

http://www.amandashome.com/road.html
Road Less Traveled ~ Robert Frost

1 comment: