Monday, August 2, 2010

"You Look Good Though!"

I have always done my best to look as good as I possibly can.  Until now, that meant makeup, hair, and a great outfit every day.  I have finally reached the point where I can get up in the morning, shower, throw on some leggings and a t-shirt, blow dry my hair and go out the door without spending the extra 15 minutes to apply makeup and choose the perfect clothes.  Before I leave the house, I look in the mirror once and look only into my eyes, instead of taking in my entire face and body, I visualize all the goodness inside of me.  This is the gift that I have received through the last 5 years of managing Rheumatoid Arthritis.  Through this continuous process, I have discovered the societal importance of physical beauty.  No matter how much pain I am in, how tired I am or how frunstrated I may feel, I am always  told, "You look good though!"  When I was first diagnosed, I took offense to this statement that was repeated over and over again.  I felt that it minimized my disease and the severety of it.  Because 9 out of 10 people that I meet made the statement, I started to think about why it was reiterated over and over again.  A couple of revelations:  perhaps, they knew how important "looking my best" meant to me, and they were trying to make me feel better; perhaps, society is so obsessed with "looking good" that they automatically move to that in an attempt to console me; lastly, people want me to be better, and find it difficult to deal with so, they move toward a statement that is a positive closer.  I am no longer offended by the statement, and make a point of accepting that "looking my best" is just being me; sometimes I take the time, and sometimes I don't.  No matter which scenario, ironically, I am still greeted with, "You look good though!"

No comments:

Post a Comment