Sunday, January 16, 2011

Girlfriend Therapy

I sit at my art table putting the finishing touches on the Valentines cards that I started last night. As I look at the 3 empty chairs at the table, I envision my friends as they worked alongside me creating, and I hear their voices as we discussed everything from love, relationships, children and careers. In no time we move into topics that really matter, like what is really important to us. Each one has had a difficult 2010, and we are optimistic that we have left it behind while bringing what we have learned into the New Year and a fresh start. We are all focused on our true authentic selves, and although each one of us expresses this in a different way, the message is ultimately the same.

We know that evolution includes taking all of our misfortunes and transforming them into lessons learned and, then self transformation. However, the task is sometimes easier said than done. Self confidence is a funny little thing as our mind seems to control the meter by which it either dominates or becomes submissive. A lot of the time, we allow other people and their actions to influence how we feel or how we behave. Often, past patterns creep in and influence how we think about ourselves and others. Logically, we know that what we sometimes think makes no sense at all. And yet, our perception slants reality, and we become unsure of what we are really, so very, capable of.

Spending an evening together with girlfriends is the best thing that you can do if you need a confidence boost. The ultimate environment for true admissions and honesty; loving, feedback is created while simply sitting around creating and chatting. Focusing on your hands, while sharing your thoughts, creates a unique balance that is both calming and enlightening. By the end of the evening you feel so empowered by the support of your BBFs, you are thinking about your next “session” while backing out of the driveway to go home.


Last night was Alison’s 48th birthday, and we celebrated by making love cards, decorating cupcakes and painting each other’s toes. It was the equivalent of 10 year olds pyjama party, and it was fun, fun, fun. I stayed in my cupcake pyjamas today, drank tea and finished my cards. As I finished up, I realized that taking the time to enjoy the company of my girlfriends is the best therapy that money does not buy.


p.s. miss you Jane and Jocelyn ~ you were meant to be here!!!!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention. I feel I was there, and certainly in spirit. I do love those lips on you ladies! Sorry to miss the fun. xoxo

    ReplyDelete