Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dreams and Tangled Webs

You know those crazy dreams that you have after you’ve woke up in the early morning and then go back to sleep? They’re the ones that you remember vividly, seem amazingly real, and are so out there that you want to share the hilarity of them with someone. You try to figure out how your reasonably intelligent mind created such a sequence of events, and how each of the players came together in this dream ensemble. Why would my mind piece together such a strange story? I call it the product of my “sleep mind”.

It is different from my “awake mind” because I have no control over it. When I am asleep, my mind thinks and reacts any way it pleases. So, then I wonder, which of these two minds is authentic? Is the scene in my sleep how I really feel or want things to be? In my dream, am I saying things that I really want to say when I’m awake? Is it my conscience talking to me and telling me the “true” message?

I woke up this morning smiling while remembering my early morning dream. The image of my family doctor sitting at my dining room table working on her computer was as clear as could be. My daughter and I were sitting at the table with her; Olivia working on a school essay that she needs to complete, and me “blogging” on my lap top. There was a brief discussion; the doctor asking Olivia how she was feeling, and me asking my doctor how work was going. She then informed us that she needed to get going. Hugs were exchanged, and then away she went. I had immersed our doctor into my private life. I wondered what she would think if she knew that........ I wondered what the relevance of me inviting her into my home was.........

Then I started thinking about who might be dreaming about me, and who my husband, daughter and son dream about, and how this is an example of the intricate web of connectivity amongst all of us. When I read about “Oneness” and the power of us moving together and feeding off of each other’s energy, I now realize more than ever the strength that of all of that can create if we allow ourselves to choose that path. It is so strong that it moves into our subconscious and helps to guide us toward a common thread of compassion even when we are asleep.

It seems obvious now that the relationship with our GP is greatly valued. She has supported us with her insight, knowledge and empathy, and has developed a positive relationship between me and her, and my daughter and her. The fact that I invited her into my home to sit at my table in my dream is a significant message of trust and love. This dream allowed me to reflect on how much the people in our lives, long time friends, familiar acquaintances, and strangers we meet, impact our thoughts and influence our behaviour and choices on a daily basis. As the saying goes, “what a tangled web we weave”!





1 comment:

  1. I always have amazingly vivid dreams when I top up my sleep in the morning. Yours was no surprise. xoxo

    ReplyDelete