Saturday, October 16, 2010

Back Home

I am definitely a creature of habit. Four weeks ago we replaced our carpeting in all the bedrooms and an office that my husband used. What we thought would only be a weekend of disorganization turned out to be a month of chaos. A quick flooring project escalated into purging, shredding and downsizing. We have thrown out, given away, and sold trunk loads of “stuff” that, at some point in our lives, we must have thought we needed.

I used to work in my spa at a small antique desk that my husband gave me years ago. I loved that room because it provided me with the solitude I craved along with a secure environment that I created by surrounding myself with all the things I loved. We decided to “clean up” and I closed my spa at around the same time. After minimizing our lives, my husband and I decided that we would “share” the office upstairs. We purchased a beautiful new desk and a shelving unit and moved the desk top computer up to our newly carpeted work area. The desk is large enough for both of us to work at, and logistically, it is feasible. Emotionally, I could not get my head around it; I missed my little desk and all of my treasures.

Today, my husband and I moved my old desk up from the basement and found a corner in the office where it sits happily. I dusted it off and placed all of my favourite things on and around it. ~ a piece of drift wood fish that my daughter and I painted at the cottage; a paper mache mask that my son made one Hallowe'en; a golfer that he designed out of dried beans and lentils; and a valentines heart, also from my sweet girl. Letters from my husband, children, and girl friends, and trinkets and baubles that I have collected over the years. None of them hold any monetary value and yet they are worth everything in the world to me ~ so many irreplacable memories and sentiments............

My heart became warm as I sat in my little nook; I was back home again.  xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment