Thursday, October 21, 2010

Seriously, though............

As I stood speaking about nutrition to a group of high school girls, I was taken aback when only 2 out the 15 young women put their hands up when asked if they help cook their family’s meals. I realize that times have changes, but, seriously!!!! I know, I know I sound like the classic “I walked 5 miles, up a hill, without any boots, in the dead of winter” old-school lady, but I really did cook full meals for our family from the time I was 12 years old.

Many would think that I would hate cooking from being in the kitchen at such a young age and for 38 years since. However, I absolutely love creating meals for my family and me. My love for food and all its goodness has become such a passion that I long to share it with everyone I meet. This desire stems from the mystique of how food systems work and integrate with the universe and our physical and emotional needs. Nature is truly a miracle as plants, one of our main food sources, grow and flourish with the seasons providing us with all of the vitamins and minerals that we require. It mystifies me that anyone would want to mix or add chemicals or any “non-food” item to the beautiful flavours of the gifts of nature. Herbs and spices were created just for that reason. If you really took the time, you would find that everything you need to produce an amazing flavourful, nutritious meal comes directly from nature itself; no additions required. The palette is infinite and, where we live, resources are plentiful. Our gratitude’s cup should runneth over. And yet, we insist on mixing nature’s best with a hodge podge of “stuff” and whack it in a box.

We’re busy, yes, but what happened to us, and why do we insist on being so busy; too busy to take the time to cook with our children. Do we really want them to believe that good food can be nuked in 5 minutes or that the “beige” meal deal for $3.99 measures up to what we really believe our little ones should be putting into their bodies?

If you take the time to do anything today, ask your son or daughter to meet you in the kitchen and get cooking. You will find that on top of creating a wonderful healthy meal, you will have fun and I’m betting you will have lots to talk about as well.

xo

p.s. next week, ask them to do their own laundry; not as much fun but, why are you doing their laundry any way?

1 comment:

  1. You're starting to sound like Jamie Oliver... he's been on the cooking channel for hours today with scenes from his efforts to get a small mining community cooking, and then sharing his recipes. Bon Apetit!

    ReplyDelete