Sunday, October 17, 2010

Once Upon a Time, 30 Years Ago.............

..........there was a place that I worked at as an aerobics instructor called the “Downtown Workout”. It was the most fun at any job that I have ever had. The relationships that were created there have maintained longevity as we still visit with one another after 30 years. We not only worked together; we went out together and often hosted dinner parties at each others’ homes. Since then I have moved through a variety of careers and have been increasingly financially successful, but there is no money that can replace the joy of the DW experience and the memories that were created there.

At one particular dinner party and after a few cocktails, we decided to share which part of our own body we most liked. We were all fitness buffs so each of us had fairly athletic physiques. One of us commented on her arms, the other her buttocks, yet another liked her abdominals and I felt confident that I my legs were my greatest attribute. Then it was my best friend’s turn. You need to know that this woman is all of 100 pounds and loaded with muscle. She has rock hard abs, incredibly built arms (or pipes as my kids would say), a beautifully chiselled back, and legs that were so powerful, they could move through 3 back to back aerobics classes without missing a beat. This woman had a body that not only looked amazing, but performed like an Olympic athlete in peak training. At that time, most of us at the table would have traded any body part for one of hers. We waited wondering which one she would choose as her favourite.

She thought for only a second, looked around the table and, with conviction, said, “I like my head”. Unbelievable!! We laughed until we couldn’t speak. Out of all of the parts of her breath-taking body, she chose her head?!?! At the time, I just thought it was funny. But today as I was walking my dog and enjoying the crisp, cool fall air, my mind wandered back to the memory of that night 30 years ago. I realized that even back then she had it all together. She knew that no matter how great you looked, it was everything underneath that exterior beauty that really made a difference. What went on in your head and how you perceived things, was what really made the difference.

She and I get together whenever we have the chance, and we are the best of friends. She still has abs of steel and she still runs every morning without much effort. She loves me for everything that I stand for, and she ignores all the imperfections that I think I may have. And for the record, she still really likes her head!!

Can't wait to see that beautiful head in 2 weeks sweetie!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. How sweet it was.... and how hilarious! The DW family lives on in the hearts of many I think. xoxo

    ReplyDelete